North Memphis is one of the poorest communities in the United States.
The statistics painfully reveal the stark reality of poverty in Memphis’ own backyard.
- Leads country in highest rate of infant mortality.
- 70% of families with children have single parents/guardians as head of household.
- 55% either not in labor force or unemployed.
- Median household income is $7,885.
- 21% of population meets AngelStreet age requirements for participation.
- 44% of adults are high school graduates (or GED).
- 12% of the above go on to obtain a bachelor’s or associate degree.
- Murder rates, robberies and aggravated assaults triple the national average.